Mashpee Public Library
Meeting Room Use Policy
The Mashpee Public Library maintains Meeting Room facilities, which are intended to further the Library's mission by facilitating the exchange of diverse information and ideas.
The primary purpose of Meeting Rooms is for Library activities, including programs presented by Library staff and Trustees, the Friends of the Library, other organizations affiliated with the Library, or for Town sponsored meetings and events. When a Meeting Room is not being used for a Library or Town activity, the space will be available to the public for governmental, non-profit, civic, cultural or educational programs or meetings.
Access will be provided on equal terms and with equal opportunity to outside groups, entities or persons (collectively referred to as “Library Users” or “Users”) requesting use of Library facilities. The Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of any Library Users, nor shall it base its determination relative to use of Library facilities upon the viewpoints of any such Library Users.
- All meetings shall be open to the public.
- There is no charge for Meeting Room use, and no admission fees will be charged.
- Programs involving the commercial sale, advertising, promotion of products or services, regardless of purpose, are prohibited except for those expressly permitted by the Library policy which allows, upon prior approval by the Trustees, for the sale of sound recordings, videos, and books related to the programs of the performers, artists, and authors at Mashpee Public Library programs in conjunction with the event.
- Only those fundraising events sponsored by the Library, Trustees of the Library, or other organizations affiliated with the Library and approved by the Trustees shall be permitted.
- No smoking or alcoholic beverages are allowed in the Library.
- Maximum occupancy of the Event Room will be limited to: 200 total occupancy; 117 seated at tables.
- Maximum occupancy of the Conference Room will be limited to 50 total occupancy; 30 seated at tables.
- The Library shall not, by virtue of any grant of permission to use the Meeting Room under this Policy, be considered a sponsor, host, endorser, nor shall it be deemed, in any other way, to be affiliated with any person or organization using the Meeting Room. To confirm this non-affiliation, all event publicity which uses the name of the Library must incorporate the statement: “Sponsored by (the name of the organization).”
- Any Library User reserving the Meeting Room shall be responsible for any and all damage to or loss of Library property. If Library property is either damaged or lost, the Library Director shall determine the cost for repair of the damage or the cost of the replacement of the lost property. The Library User permitted to use the Meeting Room shall indemnify the Town of Mashpee (“Town”) and be responsible to pay said damage/repair cost amount to the Town.
- The Library reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to close the Library for a weather emergency, when public safety concerns arise, or for any other reason, in which case all scheduled meetings shall be automatically cancelled. In such situations, permitted Library Users assume full risk of cancellation of their events and waive any and all claims and/or recourse as against the Library and the Town arising from or relating to such cancellation of events. The Library assumes no duty or responsibility for notifying Library Users or event participants of Library closures under these circumstances.
Applications and Reservations
- An authorized adult representative of a Library User must request use of the Meeting Room by filling out the online application form. By submitting the form, the applicant agrees that the Mashpee Public Library Meeting Room Policy and Liability Waiver shall apply to the requested use of space and it acknowledges that said Mashpee Public Library Meeting Room Policy and Liability Waiver has been read and is understood. A reservation is not considered finalized until the application form has been fully completed, submitted to the Library, and a reservation confirmation email has been issued by the Library.
- Requests for meeting space will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Reservations may be requested up to one year in advance of the requested date, and Library Users are encouraged to submit requests as early as possible. To provide an opportunity for all groups, entities or persons to use the Meeting Rooms, only one Meeting Room may be reserved at a time.
- If a Library User reserving a Room wishes to cancel a scheduled meeting, the authorized applicant must call the Library Director or submit a written notice of cancellation to the Library as soon as possible. A Library User shall be deemed to have forfeited its reservation if it fails to appear, as scheduled, within thirty (30) minutes after the reservation time.
- If a Library User fails to appear for two meetings in a row, and fails to provide notice of such cancellations, as provided above, all future reservations of that User shall be deemed cancelled until the User calls or submits a written request to confirm said reservations.
- All meetings, with the exception of those sponsored by the Library or the Town, must be scheduled during hours of Library operation when Library staff is present. Representatives or invitees of Library Users may not enter Library buildings, nor will deliveries on behalf of Library Users be accepted prior to the regularly scheduled Library opening time, unless permission has been granted in advance.
- Library Users may not assign or transfer their reservations to other groups, entities or persons.
- Library or Town of Mashpee needs for use of Meeting Rooms may take precedence over and preempt any other scheduled event.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel a reservation, upon 48 hours advance notice, if a room or space is required for use by the Library, a Library related organization, or the Town.
- Meeting Room programs/ events must not interfere with Library operations.
- Any false, misleading or incomplete statement on the application form shall be grounds to deny use of Meeting Rooms by the applicant.
CONDITIONS OF USE
- Permission to use the Meeting Rooms includes ordinary use of the furniture and fixtures, including chairs, tables, projector, DVD player, data and electrical lines, and public address system. All other items, equipment or amenities must be provided by the person, group or entity reserving the room.
- The Library assumes no responsibility to provide operators for the equipment. If instruction is required for equipment operation, it is suggested that a representative of the Library User set up an appointment with Library staff in advance.
- Equipment, supplies, or personal effects shall not be stored or left in Library Meeting Rooms before or after use.
- The Library assumes no responsibility or liability for theft or damage to personal property brought onto Library property or for personal injuries, which occur as a result of or in the course of Meeting Room programs or events scheduled by Library Users. .
- Material such as pamphlets and flyers may be posted or distributed, subject to the terms of the Library Policy on the Distribution of Informational Materials and the Use of Public Bulletin Boards and Spaces.
- Refreshments and light catered meals may be served during scheduled events. On-premises meal preparation is not allowed. Users are responsible for cleaning up and restoring the room to its original condition before leaving. Failure to do so will result in the issuance of written notice that the Library User failed or neglected to properly clean up the room and restore the room to its original condition. A second such violation will result in the loss of Meeting Room privileges by the offending Library User.
- Library Users reserving the Meeting Room are responsible for the set-up and take down of all tables and chairs used. Failure to do so will result in written notice that the User did not set-up and/or take down the tables and chairs. A second violation will result in the loss of Meeting Room privileges by the offending Library User.
- Nothing may be affixed, posted or mounted in any way to the walls of Meeting Rooms.
- During all scheduled events, all room exits must remain unlocked at all times. Open aisles must be maintained within the seating arrangement to provide clear and unhindered access to exits.
- Only public entrances to the Library are to be used for all access to and from the building, including all deliveries.
- Rooms must be left clean. Library Users are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their meeting. All trash resulting from the serving of refreshments, or other activities, must be removed from the building by the User.
- Library Users are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of any necessary repairs or clean up. Costs will be determined by the Library Director and Library Trustees upon consultation with the appropriate Town officials. Failure to pay any charges levied will result in the loss of Meeting Room privileges.
- Library Users are responsible for maintaining compliance with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requirements and for providing reasonable accommodations at their meetings or programs to participants or invitees with disabilities. A statement regarding the availability of such accommodations must be included in all publicity or notices.
- Permission to use Library Meeting Rooms may be withheld from Users that have failed to comply with the Meeting Room Policy and from any User that damages the room, carpet, equipment, or furniture, or related facilities or causes a disturbance.
INDEMNIFICATION & INSURANCE
- All Library Users (with the exception of Library of Town employees or agents engaged in Library or Town business) using any of the Meeting Rooms shall sign a Waiver of Liability by which such Users agree to indemnify and hold the Board of Library Trustees, the Town of Mashpee, and all Library/Town officers, employees or agents harmless from and against any and all costs, expenses, damages, losses, claims, and liabilities, of whatever nature, incurred directly or indirectly as a result of use of a Meeting Room or related Library facilities. Such costs, damages, losses, claims, and expenses shall include, without limitation, any damage to the Meeting Room or any other part of the Library building or grounds; the cost of employee overtime, if occasioned by the use of the Meeting Room; the cost of police protection, if
deemed necessary, incurred by the Board of Library Trustees; and any claim asserted by any third party against the Board of Library Trustees, the Town of Mashpee, and/or their officers, employees or agents on account of any alleged injury causally related to the meeting, together with defense costs including reasonable attorneys’ fees.
- The Waiver of Liability shall also constitute a waiver and release by the Library User and each of its members of any claim against the Board of Library Trustees, the Town of Mashpee, their respective officers, employees or agents, with respect to any injury to persons or damage to property suffered by such User or any of its members or invitees during or as a result of the use of the Meeting Room.
- The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to require any reservation applicant to supply a certificate of insurance, from an insurer licensed to do business in Massachusetts, in such amount and in such form as the Board of Library Trustees may deem appropriate; such amount not to exceed $1 million, naming the Board of Library Trustees and Town of Mashpee as an additional insured, and covering damage to the Library building, grounds and other property and injury to persons, including death, occurring during, in relation to, or as a result of any program or meeting permitted at the Library. Such certificate shall evidence that the insurance it represents may not be cancelled except on at least ten (10) days’ written notice to the Board of Library Trustees. In the event of such cancellation, the related meeting
reservation shall be cancelled unless the group forthwith substitutes a substitute insurance certificate meeting the aforesaid requirements.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees
October 11, 2011